What Documents Should I Receive After Buying a Property in the UK?

Table of Contents

Save thousands with our 95% success rate
compared to a 39.8%* failure rate elsewhere

* according to OnTheMarket data (OTM is one of the top 3 UK property portals alongside Rightmove and Zoopla)

What Documents Should I Receive After Buying a Property in the UK – Video

Buying a house or property is a big investment and one of the most important decisions you will make in your life. It is, therefore, crucial that you understand the process and what documents should I receive after buying a property in the UK?. These documents will protect your interests and ensure that the property is legally yours. Your solicitor or conveyancer will guide you through the process and help you obtain the necessary documents, but it is still essential to be aware of what to expect.

The following guide will outline the key documents you should receive after buying a property in the UK and what they mean for you.

Transfer Deed 

The main document you will receive after buying a property in the UK is the transfer deed (also known as the deed of conveyance). This is a legal document that officially transfers ownership of the property from the seller to the buyer. The transfer deed will be signed by both parties and registered with the Land Registry.

Also See: How to Renegotiate A House Offer After Survey

You will also receive a copy of the title register, which shows that you are the new owner of the property. The transfer deed will also contain any conditions attached to the sale or restrictions that apply to the property, such as planning permission for any future development. 

Mortgage Deed 

If you take out a mortgage to buy the property, you will receive a mortgage deed. This deed sets out the terms and conditions of your mortgage, including the amount borrowed, the interest rate, and the repayment schedule. It is essential to read and understand this document carefully before signing it, as it will be binding on you for the duration of the mortgage.

Also See: Do You Need a Conveyancing Solicitor To Remortgage?

The mortgage deed will also contain a charge, which gives the lender legal interest in the property. If you fail to keep up with your mortgage repayments, the lender could repossess the property.

Leasehold Property Documents 

If you buy a leasehold property, you will receive additional documents from the landlord or freeholder. These documents include the lease, which sets out the terms of your tenancy, and the service charge schedule, which outlines any charges you will need to pay for the upkeep of the property.

Need immediate property buying help? Consult Reading Property Lawyers

It is essential to read through these documents carefully before signing them, as they will be binding on you for the duration of the lease. You should also be aware that there may be additional charges payable if you want to make any changes to the property, such as extending the lease or carrying out renovations.

Customer Review:

A brilliant service from start to end. The team were efficient, diligent, and really spent the time to explain everything to us. They went above and beyond to ensure that our house sale and purchase went through as quickly as possible. Highly recommend!” – Grace, a satisfied AVRillo client.

Property Information Pack From The Seller

The seller should also provide you with a property information pack (PIP) containing important information about the property. The PIP must be provided by the seller before marketing the property and must be made available to potential buyers upon request. After closing the sale, the seller must also provide you with a copy of the PIP, so you have all the relevant information about the property.

The PIP must include many documents, including:

  1. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives information on the property’s energy efficiency.
  2. A landfill search gives information on any landfill sites near the property.
  3. A water and drainage search gives information on the water and drainage services that serve the property.
  4. A local authority search gives information on any planning permission or building regulation applications made in relation to the property.

The PIP may also include other documents, such as the leasehold pack for a leasehold property or a report from a structural surveyor.

Stamp Duty Receipt

Within 30 days of completion, you will need to receive your stamp duty receipt from the solicitors. This document proves that you have paid stamp duty. Stamp duty is a tax payable on the transfer of ownership of a property. The amount of stamp duty you will need to pay depends on the property’s value and the tax band in which it falls. HMRC checks the stamp duty receipt when registering the transfer of ownership, so it is essential that you receive this document after completion.

Indemnity Insurance Certificate

If there are any issues with the title to the property, you may be able to purchase indemnity insurance to protect yourself against any potential problems. This insurance will cover you for any losses you may incur as a result of the title issue. The insurer will provide the indemnity insurance certificate and should be kept safe as it will be required if you ever need to make a claim.


These are some of the documents you should receive after buying a property in the UK. It is essential to review all of these documents carefully to ensure that everything is in order and that you understand your rights and obligations. If you have questions, speak to a qualified solicitor who can advise you on the best course of action.

You’re 8x times more likely to move with us than with other conveyancers.