To be successful in sales you need to focus on three critical elements:
This comes top of the list when selling as customers prefer to do business with people who bring more to the table than an order form or a contract.
- People who bring insight and ideas that clients can use to improve, grow, or transform their businesses will be successful.
- You must be knowledgeable about your own business, industry, products and services, but also about your clients – the more you know about your clients’ worlds, the better positioned you are to their needs.
- When you help your clients improve their businesses, they tend to keep you around, even when your competitors come knocking at their doors.
This is what enables you to put your knowledge and skills into practice.
- You must have confidence in your company’s ability to deliver the outcomes promised by its products and services. Most importantly, you must have confidence in yourself to ask your and clients the questions that need to be asked…when they need to be asked.
- Confidence to share your thoughts and insights with them…even when it’s something they may not want to hear.
- Confidence to enter unknown ground knowing that sometimes, the outcome may not go the way you want, but nevertheless it will provide a learning experience.
This activates the other two elements. Knowing what to do and how to do it is of little use if you don’t take action. Results come from motion, not meditation.
- Commitment means binding yourself to a course of action regardless of your fear. Keep going!
- It means having a purpose greater than just closing another sale or earning commission. It’s easy to put tasks off, so don’t do what is easy, do what is right!
- Commitment also means being willing to invest the necessary time to properly prepare. Proper preparation, prevents poor performance. In turn your reputation will speak for its self.
Competence, confidence, and commitment are not only critical elements for success in the sales arena, they are the underpinnings of success in life.
When you bring these three elements together, a synergy effect is created. When your commitment to act is supported by your competence, and reinforced by your confidence, your potential for success is limitless.